This week we look at dreams that offer emotional closure and learn something valuable to know about what dreams can do for you.
Dear Dreams 1-2-3:
Can dreams give me emotional closure? I ask because I ran into my ex girlfriend in a bar Friday night then had a dream that she and I went on a walk and talked things out. At the end we gave each other a hug and went our separate ways. When I woke up, I felt like I’d finally moved on from the relationship.
Romeo Must Die
Yes! Dreams bring to life unresolved situations or feelings and offer closure when you’re having trouble doing it while awake. Dreams can help you grieve the loss of a loved one, mend a broken heart, and let go of regrets, among other things. The fact that dreams can help with emotional closure should be included on the Ten Things to Know about Dreams. In no particular order:
- Dreams offer emotional closure.
- Dreams exaggerate to make their point.
- Dreams about conflict often illustrate battles between the head and heart.
- Dreams offer good advice.
- Dreams bring to light thoughts in the back of your mind.
- Your feelings are your best guide to interpreting your dreams.
- Everything in dreams is symbolic. The images shouldn’t be taken literally.
- The actions in dreams reveal the symbolism.
- Dreams compensate. The more one-sided you are while awake, the more one-sided your dreams are – one-sided in the opposite direction.
- Dreams show you yourself reflected back in a mirror that misses nothing.
Dear Dreams 1-2-3:
I broke up with my girlfriend a while ago and had a hard time letting go. I’ve been acting … hurt and angry. Last night I dreamed I was in my car and my ex came up to the window. I told her to get in the passenger seat but instead she asked me to roll down the window. She said that I had to let go of her, and that I’ve moved on before from a break up and can do it again. I woke up in the morning feeling like I can finally let go of her, and it’s the best I’ve felt in a long time.
Dear Getting Better:
This is one of dozens of testimonies I have read about dreams offering emotional closure. You knew in the back of your mind that you had what you needed to let go and move on, you just needed the dream to remind you.